Sometimes Silly , Sometimes Sweet - Dear M

         


( This short story was selected in an online writing competition.)                                                                              

                       Dear “M”

Among the stacks of books, I noticed an old novel. Curious, I grabbed it up. The author was not celebrated, and the cover had a neon green text with the simple title "Dear M." I went up to the storekeeper to ask what the pricing was.
"Take it as a gift; the novel has been waiting for you," he said, a smile showing through his wrinkles. I felt strange because the shopkeeper had never been so kind.
Mom would take me shopping on my birthdays. She adored giving books as gifts, and I loved to read. However, I have paid the shop a few visits since my mother's passing.

I could not wait to reach home to begin reading, so I went to the closest coffee shop and settled in to read. The elderly man's words reverberated in my head halfway through the book. I hurried back. The store was closed for the day, though. With my heart thumping in my chest, I combed the old cobblestone alleys for him.
There he was, leaning against the bus stop post, waiting placidly. He turned to face me, smiled sadly, and boarded the bus.
I stood there baffled and clueless, looking for answers.

I am not sure who penned "Dear M." and why.

But "M" was unquestionably my mother, Madhushree.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

कुछ स्वाल कुछ बातें - न बाप बड़ा , न भैया

Sometimes Silly Sometimes Sweet Short Stories #008 Letter To Son

The 8th Of March Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs